There are various events to mark the one year anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami that hit northern Japan on 11th March, 2011.
Plum Blossom Tsunami Anniversary Concert
A charity concert commemorating the first anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami which struck northern Japan on 11 March 2011. The proceeds from the event will go through Aid Japan for Children to the Midori no Tohoku Genki Programme to support emotionally scarred young survivors of the disaster.
- Date: Sunday 11 March 2012
- Time: 3.30pm
- Venue: Pepper Canister (St. Stephen’s) Church, Upper Mount Street, Dublin 2 (www.peppercanister.ie/)
- Tickets: €24 (€20 per ticket for groups of 20 or more) from www.ticketmaster.ie or contact 087 191 2571
The concert will feature soprano Mari Moriya, counter-tenor Daichi Fujiki, and Takeshi Moriuchi on piano. For further information see http://www.plumblossomconcert.com/
A performance of Handel’s Messiah by the all-female Toyo Eiwa Jogakuin Choir from Japan, in aid of the relief effort in the areas of northern Japan devastated by last year’s earthquake and tsunami.
This event is presented by Music & Cultural Exchange Center International, Inc., a Japanese organisation dedicated to bringing Japanese music to the world stage.
- Date: Sunday, 11 March 2012
- Time: 8.00pm (doors 7.30pm)
- Venue: St. Patrick’s Cathedral, St. Patrick’s Close, Dublin 8 (www.stpatrickscathedral.ie/index.aspx)
- Admission: free of charge, donation boxes will be available at the venue
- Information: emily@DHR.ie / 01 420 0580
The choir will be conducted by acclaimed Japanese conductor Hideyuki Tsuji, with solo performances by soprano Eri Nakamura and bass Yasunori Okumura.